Friday, October 10, 2008

Tunes

So I am currently listening to Citizen Cope, my re-found favorite. I just love music, as most of you know. I feel like most music will or has had a time and place in my life. I love nothing more than putting my music collection on random and just waiting to see what random memories fill my head with fantastic background music. There have been days when I have done this for hours, laughing out loud and then tearing up. I just love it. When I need to get into my own little world, or step out of reality for a little while, it always does the trick.

It's so interesting to me how just a chord on a guitar, or the chorus of a song, can instantly transport me somewhere else. The same goes with smells. I have a very sensitive nose. Just the slight sent of cardamom takes me back to the kitchen with my mom around Christmas, or how a pumpkin spice candle sends me back to crisp nights in college living on Society St. It's like these little pockets of memories, that once one gets opened, your mind just wanders. It's quite lovely.
With my new job, I find that I rely more on music to get my mind off all of the things they are trying to stuff into my brain. I am very thankful to have a job, please do not get me wrong. But one day I want to find something that I love getting up for. Something that makes me feel like I am making a positive impact in the world. That I am really making a difference. When I lived in Malawi, I felt the raw emotions of the country every day. There were no jobs that weren't contributing to the life of the village. Everything was so organic and homegrown. To be such a dusty place, it was so refreshing. A lot of this is hind sight, of course, but I like that I am still learning from an experience that happened over two years ago. Regarding the circumstances, it was hard to see a lot with such frustration surrounding our group, but I know that we made at least a few people smile every day that we were there. And hopefully, our impact was greater than we will ever know.

No comments: